As a bit of TV nerd, I’ve written before about my love of soundtracks – in particular theme songs (see various Playlist pages if you don’t believe me!) – previously. Personally, I find the un-theme of Supernatural – Carry On Wayward Sons by Kansas – to be one of the most effective defacto TV theme songs EVER. I’ve even blogged on some seriously dodgy soundtracks just because they thematically tickled me – Stalker – take a bow! Recently, I’ve been blown away by the brilliance of the music utilised in Fargo (especially season 2), Justified and Sense8.
So naturally, I’ve purchased some of those ‘music from TV’ cd’s and found myself disappointed at how dated they all are. No Orphan Black, Game of Thrones or Utopia (not a huge fan of electronic/house/dance/whatever that was but it was a REALLY effective soundtrack!) – in fact the most recent additions are usually Dawson’s Creek and Ally McBeal; which – no offence to the respective artists involved – hark back to my school days and are therefore more antique than cassettes*
Some of my favourite musical moments come from that particular thrill of hearing the haunting strains of a song that’s about to transport you away to a different world…however daft. And yes, for the longest time, those themes were Cheers, the A Team, The Sopranos, X Files and so on…but now, I’d like something just a touch more up to date.
So I’ve made it! (Gotta love modern technology). My criteria was that the show is still on air – or at the very least not CANCELLED yet and live action – only because I knew that if I started looking at current animated TV series I’d end up down the rabbit hole again – researching odd ends for hours and not actually getting anything done. In other words – that’s a likely future project 🙂
Sure, not all TV themes are destined to become stand-alone classics, but in context – they can be magical!
Please let me know what I’ve missed, your personal favourites and which ones drive you crazy!!
Current TV Theme Songs – Spotify
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee – The Boys wanna be Her – Peaches
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – Jeff Richmond (remix by Gregory Bros)
- Cover version used in the Spotify playlist
- Orphan Black – Two Fingers
- Utopia – Cristobal Tapia de Veer
- OK – this has been cancelled…but it was kinda the whole reason I went out looking for up to date themes…and it was a really stupid decision…and I’ve already included it in the picture…
- Sleepy Hollow – Danny Elfman
- Orange is the New Black – You’ve got time – Regina Spektor
- iZombie – Stop, I’m already dead – Deadboy & the Elephantmen
- Lucifer – – Heavy Young Heathens
- The Shannara Chronicles – Until we go down – Ruelle
- Game of Thrones – Main Theme – Ramin Djawadi
- Fargo – Go to sleep you little baby – Jeff Tweedy
- Man of Constant Sorrow used in the Spotify playlist
- NOTE – every episode of the second season featured a song that had previously been used on a Coen soundtrack.
- You’re the Worst – 7:30AM – Slothrust
- Outlander – The Skye Boat Song – Kathryn Jones & Raya Yarbrough
- Wynonna Earp – Tell that Devil – Jill Andrews
- True Detective – Season 01 – Far from any road – The Handsome Family
- The Man in the High Castle – Edelweiss – Jeanette Olsson
- Underground – Heaven’s Door – Alice Smith
- though every track has been so well chosen I may well end up collecting the lot!
- True Detective – Season 02 – Nevermind – Leonard Cohen
- Elementary – Main Theme – Sean Callery
- Halt and Catch Fire – Still on Fire – Trentemoller (adapted)
- Fortitude – Peeling off the Layers – Wildbirds & Peacedrums
- The Walking Dead – Bear McCreary
- Galavant – Season 01 – Main theme – Cast
With these tracks being particularly powerful in the middle of a show – despite NOT being the theme (so basically everything from the Sense8 soundtrack).
- Orange is the New Black – Hummingbird – Miss E
- The Walking Dead – Blackbird Song by Lee deWyze
- Lucifer – No rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant
For less obsessively TV Themed music, do visit the fabulous Leeds Playlist!
*Yes, yes, Guardians of the Galaxy not withstanding – cassettes are NOT the shiny new thing. I refuse to allow it.
Yup, I’m already planning a variety of follow up posts – classical music themes, best SF themes, Rock Songs gone Cop Songs (pretty much just the CSI series…), best use of idents….
I might need help…